Tuesday 19 June 2018

In the Garden With Lauraetta : Potato Tower 2018/06/16



In the garden today as you can see we have a potato tower that I have going.
I didn’t reading up a lot on people with grow bags. The whole concept of a growing bag is to grow vertically using strong,fabric like material. For my grow bag I chose to use a feed bag because it’s cheap: it was lying around and it would’ve probably ended up in the garbage. So I chose something that I could up-cycle.
 I highly recommend that you take a closer look at your waste products. I was living on a farm on an island and in terms of waste management we had a very strict dump site that would only allow the residents of the islands to produce only so much waste. You were only allowed a certain amount of bags each year so I really looked into how I could cut out as much waste product I could. 
 That brings us back to my choice of growing containers for this instance.
To take a useless bag and save it from the trash by re-purposing it ,is doing a great deal to save some trash from the landfill.
 I can probably reuse this grow bag maybe for another 2 to 3 years without having to discard it.
If you want to make Your own potato tower you don’t have to use any fancy products: again look at what you have laying around. You could probably even do the same thing with a bunch of sewn up T-shirts that we’re going to go into the trash anyhow. 
But if you don't have any of these materials then I suggest that you use some landscaping fabric and you can  mold it inside some sort of box made out of wood. That should be good enough to grow all the potatoes you desire. You can score some pallets for this project from almost any urban area -just go around and keep your eyes open around any local hardware store or even grocery store. They might have them out back. Always ask for permission before taking anything.
 I planted my potatoes in the Feed bag around the circumference.
I stacked my potatoes two deep. You could even do 3 to 4 deep and  you could possibly go higher (literally and figuratively skies the limit)
 Just make sure that your potato tower is secure for the weight of the dirt. If your going to build your own tower you’re going to have to make something that will withstand not only the weight of the dirt that is in the bag/ within the tower, but can retain the weight of water that it will saturate the whole tower. 

1 comment:

In the Garden With Lauraetta : Potato Tower 2018/06/16

In the garden today as you can see we have a potato tower that I have going. I didn’t reading up a lot on people with grow bags. The ...